Whether you’re a digital marketer for an existing business or you’re just starting out a new website, we know how difficult it can be to come up with new content ideas to increase your traffic and keep users engaged.
In fact, a solid content marketing strategy will get you more traffic, higher conversion rates, increased brand authority, improved customer relationships, and even more engagement. In addition to that, publishing great content on your website will maximize your SEO efforts and decrease bounce rates. But website content is not the only type of content. To optimize your content marketing strategy, you should create content for different channels and target audiences.
But again, coming up with new content ideas is a huge challenge marketing professionals face every day. On top of that, the content needs to be right for your business type. So how do you create the right type of content that will work for you? Start by asking yourself these questions:
- What content works the best in my industry? Look at your competitors and businesses similar to yours — what content are they creating? And what content works best for them?
- What content does the audience I’m trying to target like? Look for your customers and audience online and try to figure out what content they interact with the most. Again, a good starting point can be your competitors and their users.
- What kind of information suits my business and the content I create the most? If you have a lot of proprietary data, it would be a waste to just use it for social media posts. Instead, you’d consider creating detailed case studies or infographics.
- What resources do I have available? Think about the skills you and your team have. If you’re just starting out, you’d better watch your budget when it comes to content marketing, and stick with content that you can create in-house and without the need to buy software or equipment.
- What are my goals? Consider your business goals and what you’re trying to achieve from your content marketing efforts. That way, you’ll know exactly what to do in terms of content creation.
- What actions do you want your users to take when they see or interact with your content? Make sure you provide the right kind of content for the right stage of the marketing funnel. Follow the content types wheel to have an idea of what content is best for each stage.
Now you know what questions you need to ask yourself to create content that will benefit your online business. If you’re still unsure about this, answer the questions in the flowchart below to get a sense of what you should be doing in terms of content marketing.